viernes, 7 de enero de 2011

Engbert Jan Coen Kiewiet de Jonge, 1920-2010

This is the English translation of a post which appeared originally in Spanish in this blog.





Fifty five years ago, as a newly graduate geologist from the University of Tulsa I arrived in Maracaibo to work for Shell Venezuela, the company that had given me a scholarship. I arrived at the beautiful building surrounded by majestic “samanes”(Tabebuias) that served as headquarters to the company. I entered the building and was welcomed by the exploration manager of the company, a scotsman named Jim Smith.

“Dr. Coronel”, he said, giving me the standard treatment given to all Venezuelan college graduates in those years, even to those who did not have doctor’s degree, as was my case. “Welcome to Shell. You will have three days to buy what you need to start working as a field geologist, your first assignment with the company. You are one of the very few Venezuelan geologists we have. This is a dignified and harsh profession. You have been preceded by some legendary geologists, starting with Ralph Arnold. I hope you will represent us well. I would recommend you read their fieldbooks. They are a treasury of geological information and, also, of sociological observations about the Venezuela of this century”.

I used the three days to buy all manner of necessary and uncessary things and left to the State of Lara, where my first field job awaited. It was there that I met Engbert Jan Coen Kiewiet de Jonge, Coen from here onwards. He would be my first supervisor. Coen had a doctor’s degree in Geomorphology in Clark University, Worcester, Massachsetts. When I met him he was a slim dutchman, 34-35 years old, laconic and shy, very blond, of medium height, rather fragile in aspect, with a sweet smile. I joined Geological Group #2 in order to study the Geology of the Siquisique area. It was not easy to see why Shell gave so much attention to areas without oil prospects, but I quickly learned that this was due to an exploration philosophy based in a holistic study of sedimentary basins, a line of investigation in which the company excelled, supported by the stupendous cadre of swiss, dutch and british geologists in The Hague central offices and all over the world.

To work as a field geologist brought me close to all who worked in the group. Early on, I became a good friend of Coen, as it was also the case with Antonio (foreman), Elias (the tape man), Eutimio (driver), Cipriano (sample carrier) and Rafaél (cook). The members of the geological group #2 became my “family”and, eventually, my subordinates.

I will mention the privilege of working with Coen for several months, before I could fly “solo”. He had been a lieutenant in the Dutch airforce during WWII, dropping bombs against the japanese in the islands of the Indonesian archipielago. He had developed a guilty feeling about this and, when he arrived to Maracaibo, he became close to the Canadian priests of The San Jose church, in Bellavista, and became a very devout catholic. During our stay in the field Coen made some attempts at converting me, except that, unfortunately, I did not believe and belief is not an intellectual exercise but a spiritual grace. During my fieldwork with him I came to admire his strength. Although he had a fragile aspect he showed great stamina during our long 12-15 mile daily treks.

Upon returning to Maracaibo Coen worked together with the notable swiss geologist Otto Renz in a magnificent geological and photo-geological work of the Guajira peninsula. This map exists and should be published since it is a piece of geological work and a work of art.

Our ways parted for a long time although we kept in touch. Coen went to live in California, where he became a illustrious educator at the San Diego State College and published at least two books on geomorphological land feautures. In California or in New Mexico he met his wife Benita, with whom he was very happy for many years until her untimely death. I saw him I n San Diego, when I returned from working in Indonesia and he gave me an enormous teddy bear to take to my children. From San Diego Coen moved to Roswell, N.M. where he lived long and happy years. I visited him at his home, a few months before his death. He lived there with two small dogs and a parrot. I spent the night at his house and was awakened by Mass in TV. Coen heard mass every day of his life and I found him kneeling in front of the TV set, in total devotion.

He showed me a set of books in which he had texts and photos related to his family, a history covering many years, both in Europe and the U.S., as well about his years in Venezuela. For several hours I admired this work of love. I noticed Coen already half absent, more like a spirit, a dutch Saint Francis of Asisi, surrounded by his animal friends. When I drove back to Albuquerque to fly home to Washington I sensed we would never meet again, at least on this side.

His daughter Annette has sent me a message abouth his death, which took place in October 17, 2010 in Alameda, California, where he had moved to be closer to his daughter and grand daughter. I was half-expecting this but I felt very moved because Coen was very close to me in spirit.

While we worked in the Siquisique area we met a beautiful girl in the village. In different ways we both loved her, being as we were in the middle of nowhere, both feeling lonely. As it happened in “The Little Prince”of Saint Exupery, we played the role of the ones who have to depart, leaving behind someone in whom we have created expectations. Although this encounter took place many years ago I still feel uneasy about this.

Coen is dead at 90. He was the most saintly person I have ever met. If there is a life beyond this life, something Coen was certain of, his soul must be already seated close to the throne of God.





.

1 comentario:

M. V. Major dijo...

Muy gratos tus pensamientos de un viejo amigo con quien compartistes momentos excepcionales. Quienes hemos vivido en lugares y conocido personas que nos han tocado el alma, tomamos un poco de esa experiencia, y ellos, tanto el lugar como las personas, se convierten en parte de nosotros para siempre. Al final, somos productos de las experiencias que nos proporciona la vida. Con suerte, esas experiencias nos ayudan a ser mejores.